About Selmers Pet Land
In 1939 Selmer’s Pet Land was founded by Bruno and Helen Selmer. The Selmer family moved to Huntington, New York. It was a small house on a two lane road, called Jericho Turnpike in which it all began. The Selmer’s lived in this house. In 1941 Bruno decided to enclose the front porch of their home and handle a small selection of pets and pet supplies. In the yard was a garage which he finished and started breeding dogs and birds.
As World War II was winding down and families began to move to Long Island, the needs of the community grew. Bruno and Helen extended the enclosed porch and added another building to the front of the house, and a building to the side of house. The pet shop was inventoried with the finest and healthiest pets of all kinds and all the supplies they needed. As Bruno and Helen’s sons got older their interest grew with the family business.
In 1965 Bruno Selmer passed away and left the family business to his sons. Al and his brother ran the business successfully and both married. Al’s wife Jackie joined the staff and handled the bookkeeping and office management. In 1974, Bill Brown at age 15 was employed at Selmer’s Pet Land. His dedication and honesty brought him to become the manager of the store. He is employed to this day, working daily to improve the store after 35 years of dedication. We are now a fourth generation pet shop continuing to provide the finest in pets and supplies for the community’s needs.
As of today the Selmer Family continues to provide birds, fish, puppies, reptiles, small animals, grooming and supplies to our community. The people of Long Island have awarded Selmer’s Pet Land Long Island’s First Place Best Pet Store for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. As well as the Best Grooming Department on Long Island for 2009 and 2010.
In addition, if we don’t inventory what you are looking for we can order it. Our business has grown because of our commitment to our customers and their families. We thank our customers for their loyalty to us.